Throughout the long tradition of baby care, baby wraps have been used by moms everywhere. Using a baby wrap is convenient and carrying a baby while doing other work is a usual practice among women.
More parents are getting into the baby wearing trend. It is becoming a necessity for most busy moms and dads, especially when caring for other children and pets.
Even grandparents and babysitters use a baby wrap. People think that using a baby wrap is more convenient to use, compared to plastic hand carriers or strollers.
There are more benefits to using a baby wrap. Babies are calmed by resting his or her head against the mother’s chest. Babies that are carried with a sling are happier and babies doze off faster.
A baby wrap can still be used by toddlers weighing 30 to 35 pounds and even when she is inside the wrap, there is enough viewing space. Unlike with using a stroller, parents can conveniently walk and maneuver through narrow areas.
Using a baby wrap is favored by parents because it makes them carry the baby tucked close to the parents’ chest. This frees up both hands while making sure that the baby is secure.
Some wraps serve several purposes. While breastfeeding, a mom can discreetly nurse with a baby wrap without suffocating the baby. The wrap can also be used as a changing mat, a swaddling blanket, a tote bag or a dog carrier.
The sling can be handy for parents who need to go out for exercise and do brisk walking. Working out is more challenging and the extra weight from carrying the baby makes the workout routine shed more calories.
The most important benefit of using a baby wrap is the closer parent-baby relationship and the sense of security that you will provide as a parent.
How to Tie a Baby Wrap
- Hold the middle part of the sling. You should be able to form a belt by place it on your tummy and wrap both ends around your waist towards your back.
- You will have to make an “x” on your back by placing the right side of the wrap and bring to your left shoulder. Do the same with the left end. Securely pull the ends.
- Lift the baby up and lower her so she snugly rests on the belt on your tummy. Her legs should be flexed and her head should be close to your chin. The loose ends of the fabric should secure her back.
- Hold both ends of the wrap. Tie the ends into a knot and repeat for a secure lock.
Here are suggestions to ensure safety:
- Do not block the baby’s air passageway. Especially for newborns, their neck and head should be supported well and their cheek should rest on your chest. They should not be resting on their chins.
- Make sure that the baby’s face is visible and not covered with cloth.
- If you have extra fabric, try double wrapping. The loose end should not form a tail behind you.
How to Use a Baby Wrap
Using a baby wrap should be an easy experience for wearers, without tremendous effort of tugging and tying. You should be able to create memories with the baby and using the wrap should not be a hassle for you or your child. Every experience is different and no two wraps are the same.
There are many ways to use a wrap depending on your comfort, baby’s weight, and the wearer’s size. There are wraps which are only for infants and newborns, and some can take on weight up to 35 pounds.
Wraps can also vary in material. Some are woven while others are made of cotton gauze. The more popular wraps are made of spandex and cotton. Stretchable wraps are a favorite. Other parents prefer wraps that are locked with a ring for security. Wraps with rings can only be used on one shoulder.
Here are ways of wearing wraps. They can be worn in many styles depending on the carriers’ level of comfort. These are:
- Start with wrapping the cloth around your waist. Pull both ends from your shoulder and both ends should be crossed again in the front to form a seat for the baby. The loose ends can be tied again at the back.
- Smoothen the cloth to the front from the back. Sling the right end on your left shoulder and on the other side. The baby is placed in the middle of the cross section with her feet slipping through the sides. Spread out the fabric to protect the baby’s back.
- To achieve a hip wrap, place the wrap on your left shoulder then pull the across your chest to form an “x” on your right hip. Bring the ends to the left and tie. Slip the baby’s feet through the cross and stretch the cloth across his back. Gently pull towards the side. This is a wrapping style that is best for toddlers only.
- You can also practice by wrapping from the back. Place the wrap on your baby and lodge him on your back. Make a cross by bringing the ends on opposite shoulders with the right end on the left. The procedure is repeated until there is no more fabric left.
Baby wearing is a fun experience. Choose a wrap that will fit your lifestyle and satisfy the needs of your child.
|Baby K’tan ORIGINAL Baby Carrier||$$$||4.2/5|
|Baby Wrap Safely Supports Carrying Babies||$$||4.8/5|
|Boba Baby Wrap, Organic||$$$||4.2/5|
|Moby Wrap Original 100% Cotton Baby Carrier||$$||4.5/5|
|Bambini & ME Baby Wrap Carrier||$$||4.4/5|
|Sleepy Wrap Comfortable Cotton Baby Carrier||$$||4.4/5|
|InnooBaby Baby Wrap Carrier||$$||4.4/5|
|Soft Baby Wrap Sling Carrier||$||4.1/5|
|Vlokup Baby Ring Sling Wrap Carrier||$$||4.1/5|
|Breathable Modal Baby Wrap||$$||4.1/5|
5 of the Best Baby Wraps
Here is a list of the best baby wraps. These products are most popular among parents and received positive reviews for price and performance.
Baby K’tan Original Baby Carrier
This is one of the more famous baby wraps in the market. It is made of soft and stretchable fabric that is easy to put on. Moms can even change positions if the baby wants a better view of her surroundings. The full cotton material is gentle on the baby as well as the wearer.
- Made with 100% cotton
- Carrier stretches while used and adjust to baby’s size
- Individual sizes for mom and dad are available
- Easy to wear
- Can carry babies weighing 35 pounds maximum
- Machine and dryer safe
Most customer reviews stated that this wrap is versatile and can be used in any wrapping style. The wrap is easy to use and comfortable because of the stretchable and soft fabric. Moms who ordered the product said that it is easy to wear and makes them hands-free.
Sizes are specialized for moms and dads. Most customers recommend buying one for each parent because of their unique measuring. Because it expands with multiple uses, some buyers recommend buying one size smaller.
The wrap comes in double knots that can adjust the tightness of the sling. Adjusting the sling will also remove the pressure off the wearer’s shoulders. The product comes with a sash that transforms to a bag which most moms find convenient when going out with the baby.
Sling-B Soft and Luxurious Baby Carrier Wrap
The Sling-B baby by Mini Objex is made of cotton, spandex and modal and can be used during breastfeeding. The baby is snug inside the wrap and allows parents to do other tasks while the baby is sleeping. The spandex and modal material follow the shape of the baby, providing a secure and peaceful space.
- Made of cotton, spandex, and modal cloth
- Flexible and can be used while breastfeeding
- Secure for baby
- Can be used until baby grows to 35 pounds
- Can be returned within 30 days of purchase with refund
Many moms think that this is the best baby wrap because the carrier is easy to wear. Its fabric length seems to be just right and easier to handle compared to other wraps that are too long.
It is also adjustable to the wearer’s size, and moms shedding postpartum weight can use it until they are back to pre-pregnancy weight. The fabric will expand to even let dads use it.
Compared to other wraps, this product is made of cotton, spandex and modal – a perfect combination of cloth for a baby wrap that makes it soft for baby but not flimsy. The wrap will keep baby safe and comfortable. It is convenient to put on and the material is handy during breastfeeding.
The wrap is good to use in any type of weather. The curious toddler will not sweat because of the wrap’s breathable material and be able to move her head to see the outside world.
Boba Baby Wrap
There are a lot of loyal customers of the Boba Wrap. It is the most frequently purchased wrap and has satisfied many parents. This is a wrap that has cotton and spandex material and creates a soft and snug feeling for the baby. The spandex makes the wrap adjust to various wearing styles and baby sizes.
- Made of cotton and spandex
- Can be used for newborns to toddlers
- For holding in front and at the back
- Can be used for breastfeeding
- Makes both hands available
- Machine washable
The maker of the Boba Wrap made sure that the wrap is not hard to wear and will not require endless knotting and twisting. It’s a must for parents who are on-the-go and shifting from one task to another. The wrap’s hands-free design helps parents carry bags or walk the dog while keeping their child snug.
For baby wearers who do not like the thin fabric, this is a wrap that suits them. It’s soft and a little thick, which provides for warmth to a child on a cold day.
The wrap stretches as the baby moves to find a more comfortable position, but not too much to let the baby fall out of the wrap. The stretchable material makes the wrap able to accommodate babies as heavy as 35 pounds.
Parents love the cotton material of the Moby Wrap, and it gains more popularity because of its good reviews. Parents said that babies are snugger and sleep well in it. The unique design of the wrap adds comfort to the wearer. This is a wrap that supports the entire back and not just the shoulders.
- Made of cotton
- No metal or plastic attachments like buckles, snaps or fasteners
- Can be wrapped over both shoulders
- Can be wrapped around the entire back for more support when carrying the baby
- Easy to follow instructional guide included
Most wraps stretch from the shoulders to the front, making some moms uncomfortable when moving. Some moms would give up baby wearing completely. This wrap provides the best back support especially to parents with growing babies.
The wrap works well with parents who want to wear their babies while they are facing front, on the side or on their backs. The wrap is flexible and helps bigger babies to see the world.
Manufacturers of the Moby Wrap wanted their product to give the carrier an easier way of carrying the baby. This is why the wrap can be put on both shoulders and across the back. This will lessen the pressure on the wearer’s shoulders.
Mom will not have to worry about her posture because the back wrap will ensure that the baby’s weight will not cause back pains. Parents experience the easiness of movement without having to worry about straining their spine.
This wrap is so convenient to use that parents said that they can even sit, recline and sleep while wearing the wrap. This makes the baby’s sleep undisturbed. Parents said they felt closer to their babies. Moms loved it because they are still able to do the laundry, cook, clean and work from home and spending quality time with their little one.
Bambini & Me Wrap Carrier
This is a baby wrap made by Bambini & Me and is a lightweight and soft carrier with many uses. It can be used as a breastfeeding cover and a blanket and parents like its soft and light material. The wrap is versatile and can be used during the summer and winter.
- Size: 205 in x 22 in
- Lightweight and Adjustable
- No plastic or metal accessories needed
- Chemical free
- Can be used for breastfeeding
- No need for support when carrying
It is a multi-purpose wrap that suits the baby’s various needs. The carrier is also a breastfeeding cover and a swaddle blanket.
Metal and plastic attachments on some wraps can make breastfeeding impossible. The Bambini & Me wrap converts to a cover to help mothers breastfeed. If the wearer is tired from the wrap, she can still swaddle the baby and soothe it.
Don’t be fooled by the light fabric. It is sturdy and can hold babies securely until they reach the age of three.Its breathable material is good for newborns and infants who are cradled and can sleep without difficulty. Babies will be able to sleep well and peacefully without distractions.
Toddlers can be positioned facing front and stay preoccupied. Both toddlers and infants are safe from skin irritation because this product is soft and not made with toxic chemicals. The wrap is pure cotton and can be easily adjusted when the baby is getting heavier.
To be able to choose the best and most comfortable baby wrap, you must first consider your style of living and the activities that you and your baby do on a daily basis.
Baby wearing is a tool for parents and caregivers to economize time and be able to multitask. The best baby wrap should have the material and the strength to keep you and your child secure.
Choose a material that will be sensitive to baby’s skin. Take note that your baby will be squiggling around it and will be spending hours in it. The wrap should be washable in the machine and can be used again.
The baby wrap will also help you deal with irritable babies and when they experience colic. Using it will soothe the baby and bring him to a comfortable sleep without consuming much of your day.
For mothers who work at home, find a carrier that will help you spend time with your baby while you are on the computer or reading documents. These baby wraps are designed to fit your schedule and help you spend as much time with your little one.
Baby wraps are also designed to be used by dads and grandparents who want to spend time with baby. These baby care tools are designed for any type of wearer and at the same time provide the baby with a safe environment.
Many believe that the baby wrap helps to establish a closer relationship between parents and infants. The wrap enables them to stay close to the wearer’s heartbeat which brings a calming effect to the baby. Similar to the effect of a baby in a womb, the baby will begin to understand the value of closeness and parental love.